Reach Out and Read
One of the premier programs of AAP-OC is Reach Out and Read®. This national program prepares America’s youngest children to succeed in school by partnering with doctors to prescribe books and encouraging families to read together. This early-literacy program focuses on children from 6 months to 5 years old, and supports medical providers who give books to children at well-exams, and providing advice to parents about the importance of reading aloud.
Safe Sleep and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
Did You Know?
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is the leading cause of infant death between 1 month and 1 year of age.
- More than 90% of all SIDS deaths occur before babies reach 6 months of age.
- Risk of SIDS is 3 times higher in babies born with low birth weight.
- Accidental Suffocation is the leading cause of infant injury deaths.
- An Orange County baby dies while sleeping in an adult bed or sharing a bed with another person nearly every other month.
Orange County Health Care Agency: Safe Sleep and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Page